Thursday, July 14, 2011

Edisto July 2011

We had the opportunity right after our Ohio trip to go to Edisto Beach with Jamie's family. We had a little house about a half of a block away from the beach. It was fun to visit with family and have the cousins get to spend so much time together. Jamie wasn't able to join us until Wednesday due to work. Several others also had to come and go due to work and other obligations. I was able to stay from Sunday to Friday night with our kids. We had a great time. We took our time getting up each morning and made our way down to the beach for a little while. Most days the tide was high in the early afternoon and so we tried to wait for when the tide wasn't so high. When it was high it got really rough. I was knocked down by a wave our first day and skinned my leg up on all of the shells. I was very careful after that.

Laura Lynn loved playing with Minnie. Minnie was only there until Monday night, so LL played with her as much as possible. She was lay right next to her and just talk and talk. It was so sweet.

My kids love the waves. They played and played in the waves. They would jump and jump and get further and further out. I had to keep reminding them not to get too deep.


When they weren't in the waves, they were playing in the sand. I brought the little pool for them to clean up in and for the baby to cool off.



My niece had an ice cream ball that she brought with her. You put the ingredients in the middle, ice and rock salt around it, and you rolled it back and forth about 20 minutes. It made some yummy ice cream.
For years, I have wanted to take pictures on Botany Bay Road. It is a beautiful road that is lined with large live oak trees that hang over the road and make a beautiful canopy to drive under. Since all of my children are finally old enough to walk and hold hands down the road, Jamie and I took them for a photo shoot.

I love this picture because Laura Lynn is turning around and checking to see what we're doing.
At the end of Botany Bay Road is a park that is run by the DNR and is open to the public. You can drive 6 1/2 miles around a dirt road with beautiful scenery and old plantation foundations, wells, and chimneys. It has one place that you can stop at and park your car. You then have to walk 1/2 mile through the marsh and some trees to get to a beach. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the road to this beach. It is a beautiful beach full of beautiful, in tact shells. You're not allowed to take any shells from here. It was a nice walk--even though it was very hot.

This is what the marsh looked like as we walked to the beach. We saw beautiful marsh birds and little fiddler crabs on our walk.
I love the way the path just opens up and there's this beautiful beach.
The girls loved this tree that people have put beautiful conch shells on the branches.

It was so sweet as I watched Jamie and Laura Lynn walk along the beach. At first they were walking side by side and then LL just reached up and grabbed her Daddy's hand. So Sweet!!

By the time we walked back, we were very hot, tired, and a little grumpy. I thought it was sweet that Eli was looking out for his little sister, Ginny.

We had a great time at the beach and made some great memories. We look forward to going back next summer and making even more.

No comments: