Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


I am deeply saddened at the death of our beloved prophet, seer, and revelator, President Gordon B. Hinckley. I received a call last night from my mom telling me of his passing. It really hit me this morning as I looked at Deseret News and the LDS.org newsroom websites. I've shed many tears over the last hour as I looked at tender photographs of this great man. I think the reason it has affected me so much this morning is because he has been the prophet of my adulthood. I was at BYU when he was sustained as our prophet in the spring of 1995. I remember watching that conference from my University Villa apartment and raising my hand to sustain him. I've learned so much from him. I always enjoy hearing him speak at General Conferences and other broadcasts. He had such a sweet spirit about him and he always spoke so lovingly.
I was able to wave to him as I walked into the Marriott Center at BYU when I was graduating. It was wonderful to have the prophet stand outside as we all entered the building--wishing us good luck. It was great to hear him speak and give us good council as we entered the next phase of our lives.
The most spiritual experience of my life involved President Hinckley. I was asked to sing in the choir at the Columbia, SC Temple dedication. It was the first session of the dedication. It just so happened my place in the celestial room was right behind President Hinckley's chair. My tummy touched his chair the entire time I sang. It was such a wonderful experience to not only sing in the temple of the Lord, but to be standing behind the prophet. The spirit was so strong in that room--I don't ever remember it feeling so strong in my life. He was a remarkable man and I am so glad I had the opportunity to sing with him in the room. (It was all I could do not to pat him on the shoulder or pat him on the head. : )
I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am grateful to have had President Hinckley be our prophet for 12 years. He taught us so many wonderful things and I hope that I can strive to live my life as he lived his. I know that he was a true prophet of God. I know that he is rejoicing with his sweet wife now and that they are an eternal family. I am grateful for his plan to build more temples on the earth. I am grateful that he was inspired to put one here in Columbia, SC and make it possible for us to attend more often. I was married in that great temple, and I am very greatful for it being so close. I love President Hinckley and I pray for his family to be comforted at this time. He will be missed greatly!

No comments: